quotes Cathy likes


"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind."— Dr. Seuss

Friday, March 9, 2012

Review - Avoiding Mr Right - Anita Heiss

I have indulged in some Koori 'chick lit' this week, as I re-read Anita Heiss's Avoiding Mr Right.  This was the first Anita Heiss book that I read.  I discovered Anita by reading an article about this book in a Sunday newspaper, and I knew that I had to read this book.  With the first reading, I knew that I wanted to read all of her other works (and infact I have read nearly all of her books).

Avoiding Mr Right Avoiding Mr Right by Anita Heiss

My rating: 5 of 5 stars









This book tells the story of Peta, who has accepted a job in Melbourne, although she currently resides in Sydney and has a close-knit group of three friends, but she doesn't seem too concerned to be leaving them.  She is a career driven lady, with an over possessive boyfriend James, who has already pictured the rest of his life living in domestic bliss with Peta, which she is not too sure about.  She wants to be celibate during her time in Melbourne, which her boyfriend isn't too sure about.  When she arrives in Melbourne, men just seem to fall at her feet, and she has to try to remain strong and not succumb to temptation.  It proves rather difficult with a certain policeman, Mike.  She also meets some new girlfriends in Melbourne, who help her to enjoy herself, and not miss her Sydney life too much.

I loved the astral travelling parts, where Peta goes to sleep and dreams about being transported in certain places, amongst them are Delphi in Greece, Paris, and New York. 

You will have to read it, to see what happens to all of the characters.  I enjoyed it just as much this time as the last time I read it.

I read this book as part of the 2012 Australian Women Writers Challenge.  

6 comments:

  1. I read this some time ago but hope to read more of Heiss's this year for the challenge

    Thanks for sharing your review
    Shelleyrae @ Book'd Out

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by and commenting Shelleyrae. I am a huge Anita Heiss fan, and highly recommend that you read more of her books.

      Delete
  2. Oh, I haven't heard of this one. It sounds fantastic - must check it out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I highly recommend that you do Talli.

      Delete