quotes Cathy likes


"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind."— Dr. Seuss

Tuesday, January 10, 2012

A love of reading

I have a love of reading.  All of my spare money goes towards making my bookshelves groan even more under the weight of new books.  For the first time, I am considering buying ebooks because where we living currently we do not have enough bookshelves to house all of the books that we have.  There are quite a few in our basement (fingers crossed they will not be affected by damp).

This year there is a national reading initiative in Australia and I am making an effort to read as much as possible and also to encourage my children to read as much as possible.

The other day I discovered a treasured collection of poems that I used to read to my daughter when she was really little.  We have started to read it again, and we are thoroughly enjoying re-reading it.

Good Night, Sleep TightGood Night, Sleep Tight by Mal Lewis Jones

My rating: 4 of 5 stars





My son loved the three following books.  We re-read them the other night and discovered new aspects to the pictures that we hadn't realised we there.  So after many times of reading these books, there is still stuff that we hadn't discovered.

The Kiss That MissedThe Kiss That Missed by David Melling

My rating: 5 of 5 stars


I have lost count how many times we have read this book. We absolutely love it.




Good Knight Sleep TightGood Knight Sleep Tight by David Melling

My rating: 5 of 5 stars










The Three WishesThe Three Wishes by David Melling

My rating: 5 of 5 stars








I hope that my children are heading in the direction of being knowing readers as stated in Winch et al (2002, p. 289).  Part of what is stated here includes '...how great the reading experience is, of its infinite capacity for variousness, of its personal rewards and continuing challenges, and of the deep sense of satisfaction that comes from persevering with texts that at first seem too difficult'.  I am quoting from this textbook as this was the main reference book that was used when I studied for a primary education degree when my children were small.  I unfortunately didn't finish it (the degree that is, but I am not sorry that I started this degree).  During this time, our reading resources greatly expanded.

I have a great love of picture books and luckily my children still love diving into them.  There are some of our favourite picture books in the photo above.  Where's the Green Sheep was recommended to me by my great friend Mim, as her daughter loved it when she was young.   We love Alison Lester books.  Rosie Sips Spiders is one of our favourites. We purchased Morris Gleitzman's book Too Small to Fail from the Children's bookshop in Beecroft last year.

I do have a number of books that I hope to read this year, but I do not want it to distract me from loving, enjoying and immersing myself in what I am reading. 

2012 and the year of reading - here we come!


The quotation comes from: Winch, G; Johnston, R.R; Holliday, M; Ljungdahl, L; March, P. Literacy: Reading, Writing and Children's Literature (2002), Oxford University Press.

8 comments:

  1. I adore Alison Lester. But my current favourite books to recommend to people are the Large Family series by Jill Murphy, I used to read Five Minutes Peace aloud with a certain pointed vehemence.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just had a look at the link you included Mim. Looks like a great book :) Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have fallen in love with those boks on sight. They look like my kind of books. I love your description of making your bookshelves groan. Mine do that too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lots of lovely books - you are right Madeleine. I'm pleased you like my comment about groaning bookshelves. I love the fact that yours do too :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay for reading! I adore reading and like you, I tear through books.So happy you're instilling that same love in your children.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Talli for stopping by and commenting. Current weather is perfect for staying indoors and reading.

      Delete
  6. I love that you wrote about this today, Cathy. :-) Just yesterday I went to the library and they had three tables full of books for fifty cents each!!! This is the second week in a row and ohhh, I've found some real treasures. :-) I love reading too, so much, and the past few months I've read more than I have in years. I LOVE it. :-) My SOUL loves it. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yeah for reading and bargain books. Thanks for stopping by. I thought we might share a love of reading.

    ReplyDelete