quotes Cathy likes


"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind."— Dr. Seuss

Monday, December 12, 2011

Red Letter Day and an Additional Challenge

Today the postman rode up to our box on his motorbike, he got off and looked rather indecisive about what he was going to do with the brown paper package in his hand.  I saw him, and caught his eye, and with that he got back on his bike and rode up to the house.  Given that we live in a locality without a fixed house number I have had problems receiving mail.  I have been waiting in anticipation for what he held in his hand.

Within the brown paper package taped up with sticky tape was Jessica Bell's new book String Bridge.


The following information about Jessica has been taken from this page on Good Reads.

She grew up in Melbourne, Australia, to two gothic rock musicians who had successful independent careers during the '80s and early '90s. She spent much of her childhood travelling to and from Australia to Europe, experiencing two entirely different worlds, yet feeling equally at home in both environments. She currently lives in Athens, Greece and works as a freelance writer/editor for Hellenic American Union, Cengage Learning, Pearson Education, Education First and Signature Manuscripts. Jessica Bell's poetry and short stories have been published in various anthologies and Literary Magazines. A full list can be found on her website. Additionally, she has written various English textbook materials and is also a singer/songwriter/guitarist. Ms. Bell's experience as an Australian living in Greece has greatly influenced her writing. 

Jessica Bell has a Bachelor of Arts from Latrobe University, where she studied subjects such as modern English literature, fiction writing, nonfiction writing, screenplay writing, editing and publishing children's literature, myth and ideology, and 18th-century romanticism. 

If you go to this link, you can see the book trailer.  I recommend you do this.  The song (Famous) is brilliant.  It is Jessica singing the song.  

Recently I read about a book challenge.  It is challenging readers to read Australian Women's literature, whatever the genre in 2012.  So given that I knew Jessica's book was on the way, I thought I would save it for that challenge.  However, I won't be waiting for January 1st to start reading.  As soon as I opened the package, I started to read the book.  I read the prologue, and am hooked.  The current books that I am reading will be put on hold because I am going to be reading Jessica's book straight away.


I am still signing up for the challenge to read more Australian Women Writers' books, but I will be finding other ones.  I would like my choices to be eclectic.  I am not going to try and be too ambitious, but I do not want to limit myself to just 3, so I am going to go for the mid level - Miles challenge.

You can read about the challenge here.

Today in Italy it is the perfect, curl up on the sofa and read a book kind of day. When I have finished my work for today, that is where I will be reading Jessica's book.

6 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh! :o) I hadn't heard of this challenge. I'm so going to join this, I think! Thanks for the heads up! And thanks so so so much for posting about my book. I really appreciate it! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent - another Europe based Aussie participating (if you do decide to join...). You are so welcome, as I said from what I have read so far, I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cathy, Jessica's book is on my wishlist, so if you are willing I would love to borrow this from you sometime next year?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know Linda, I thought you would ask. Of course I will lend you the book sometime next year. :-)

    ReplyDelete