quotes Cathy likes


"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind."— Dr. Seuss

Monday, November 14, 2011

Writing with music playing

This month has been a really creative month for me.  I have written quite a bit, I have been journalling as well (but only in a small way).  I don't want to force myself to write say a sentence a day, as Gretchen Rubin has suggested on her Happiness Project website.  I prefer to open my journal up, and write when I feel like I have something I want to note down.

Emma Darwin's post about writing with music playing (which she retweeted the other day, which is how I found it, as she wrote the post in 2007, and I have only just discovered her blog), really struck a chord with me (nothing wrong with a bit of musical imagery!).

Now music is very important to me.  It can take me from the depths of despair to a better place.  It can make me get all nostalgic about things, like the first film set in Italy that I loved and the music that was used in a certain scene.

I tried something the other day, I was tapping away at my laptop, and I put on a song.  It was one of my favourite Irene Grandi CDs.  I can't remember which song it was, what I do recall is that I did manage to type away a bit more of my story, but in the end, the words did serve as a bit of a distraction, which parallels in a sense what Emma Darwin was getting at.

I do want to try and see whether if I listen to instrumental music only, whether this will aid my creative process or not.  I will let you know how it goes.

6 comments:

  1. I am so pleased that you seem to be doing well with your writing Cathy, keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I could write with music, but I just can't! Glad to hear it's been such a creative month for you, Cathy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm going to give it another go Talli, with just instrumental music. Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Try Mozart. It's supposed to stimulate the brain. I find songs too distracting too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the suggestion Madeleine, I will try that.

    ReplyDelete