quotes Cathy likes


"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind."— Dr. Seuss

Thursday, November 3, 2011

NaNoWriMo - Day 3

I thought I would write a bit about my progress so far.  On day 1, I got as far as making the decision to participate, coming up with a title and creating a document.  Yesterday I wrote about 780 words.  And today I am up to 1440.  The thing is, I really want this to work this time, and I am at a stage, where I think I want to research and think about the next part that I am going to write, rather than just waffle on.

I am taking this book writing this rather seriously.  I have even taking to going over my grammar points, using the following book as a reference guide - A Grammar Companion for Primary Teachers.  I got this book when I started a degree to become a primary teacher when my kids were small.  Needless to say, for me full time study and parenting didn't work that well, and then we decided to move to Italy.  I have another great book from the English teaching subject that I took as well, that I may mention in a future post.

I have nine words circling around my brain, courtesy of reading a post on Booktopia's blog.  It is right at the end of the blog post of an interview with Monica McInerney.  These nine words, are her advice to aspiring writers.  I thought - yes that is me.  I am an aspiring writer.  The nine words were: Read, read, read.  Write, write, write.  Edit, edit, edit.

In the past couple of days, I have done a fair amount of reading.  Infact I have done what I decided last year I would not do.  I am reading more than one book at once.  I blame Nora Roberts.   I bought a book during the summer when I was in the UK, and it is two of her books together.  I started it last night - it has been sitting on the bookshelf begging me to start it.  I read the prologue and then chapter 1.  If I hadn't been too tired, I would have kept on going.  Her description of the scenes and characters is fantastic.  Plus I am going through the grammar book, and I am also reading a children's book, since my daughter asked me if I would read it.  It is the first in the Kitty Slade series, by Fiona Dunbar.

This book was actually bought at The Children's bookshop in Beecroft, in Sydney.  This year the bookshop is celebrating 40 years in the business.  My daughter picked this book out from some of the others that were suggested to her.  I have books on my bookshelves that relatives of mine bought for me at this bookshop.

So that leaves concentrating on writing some more.  Editing will definitely come, but later, probably, if I take notice of the advice by the organisers of NaNo, who state that it is better to just write and edit later.

6 comments:

  1. I have never been able to read more than one book at a time, at least not since the days of study when one had to do so!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know what you mean Linda. I have been so disciplined this year sticking to concentrating on just one book - so much better. I really need to finish the Kitty Slade (Fiona Dunbar) book so I can get back to the 'adult' fiction. Mind you, I do have another book that I want to read with my daughter!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Cathy! :o)Noticed you followed my blog. Pleased to meet another Aussie living in Europe! :o)

    As for reading more than one book at once, I can do if the books aren't all the same form, such as one poetry collection and one novel. But I can't do two novels at once :o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I used to read with our girls before they went to sleep at night and do not think I counted it as reading another book.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Jessica - thanks for following my blog. I was born in Melbourne, and we had Greek neighbours, but then we moved to Sydney when I was seven! I think your idea is good, Jessica - that was the problem with me, I had my head in several novels at once - not good.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Linda - I wouldn't count reading a picture book to my daughter as an extra book, but a chapter book yes, and that is what it is. Mind you, she has in mind to re-read the Fiona Dunbar book that I have just finished, after she has finished the current Fiona Dunbar book that she is reading currently.

    ReplyDelete